Sunday, September 20, 2015

There Goes The Neighbourhood

When the Europeans started to settle in the Americas, may bad things happened because of it. The Europeans took advantage of the Native Americans which was a negative outcome for two groups coming together in one place.Different scenarios can lead to different things.
Take for example, the stereotypical school cliques. Students are all labeled to fit into a certain "group". When they come together, sometimes they don't mix, and you see that in movies, where the jock picks on the nerd. Then, you see relationships in Whitney Young, for example, that flourish no matter who you're in a group with. You'll be in a group with an academics kid, a sports person, a theatre person, an artsy person, a musical person, you can be in a group with anyone and it'll click.
When I was in middle school, there was no diversity. Everyone was Hispanic. There wasn't much to learn about each other culturally, because we all had around the same experiences. In high school, I get a different experience, it's culturally diverse, and like I said before, there isn't a negative for this coming together of different people. Things would've ended differently for the Europeans and the Native Americans if, both groups hadn't come together like they did.


1 comment:

  1. I also come from an elementry school with no diversity and I feel I relate to your experience.

    ReplyDelete